The Twitterverse goes 100% BITCH on Carols by Candlelight

australian idol death threat carols by candlelight parliament hoise memorial service

Last night, Channel 9 broadcast the annual Carols by Candlelight concert from Melbourne’s Sidney Myer Music Bowl. 10,000 people attended the venue while millions more tuned in on Nine. But the real action was on Twitter, where the bitches came out to throw shade at 280 characters a post.

Rapid-fire tweets took aim at everything that moved.

Earlier in the evening, a few nostalgic souls eagerly anticipated Denis Walter’s annual turn. However, others noted that while this year marks the 82nd annual event, Denis first performed back when Mary’s boy child was still a boy child.

Colonel Kickhead: “95% of the audience don’t know who the fuck you are and the other 5% were wheeled in here and don’t even remember who they are.”

The good colonel also commented on the night’s line-up.

“It might have been better to just not tell us who was coming up and instead just disappoint us gradually over the next three hours.”

The choice of songs also remained a bone of contention throughout the broadcast.

Michelle: “They need to rename this to Songs Loosely Associated With Christmas By Candlelight.

Alison Langdon, co-host of Carols by Candlelight

Some viewers definitely knew what inspired co-host Alison Langdon’s Christmas cheer.

Tweeters knew what they wanted from Carols by Candlelight and were not slow to fire off a tweet when disappointed.

Carols by Candlelight is all about Anthony Callea

Tweeters knew what they wanted from Carols by Candlelight.

PieHarpist: “The wait for AnthonyCallea is getting more urgent each act. Please, we need talent.”

The Twitterati believes Carols by Candlelight should celebrate the real meaning of Christmas — the worship of Anthony Callea.

Apparently Anthony is the only reason to take an interest in the event, because:

  • He is the only Aussie who can sing. (No matter who sings at Eurovision, Anthony was cheated.)
  • You never know what he might wear.
  • Every year his microphone gets bigger and blingier.

But when Anthony finally arrived, tweeters were unsure of his clothing choices.

Jack Vidgen at Carols by Candelight

Earlier Jack Vidgen made his own attempt at sartorial elegance.

But you can’t please all the people, all the time.

Anthony’s decision to sing something from The Lion King also caused controversy.

At least, Marina Pryor got off lightly this year. Apparently, one traditional Carols by Candlelight drinking game involves skulling a shot every time someone walks in the room and remarks on how much work she’s had done.

However, this year some grim humour focussed on a well-intentioned but unfortunate choice of words on her part.

Anyway, all the performers donate their talents to raise money for Vision Australia who assist kids with low vision and their families. Thanks to all the performers and let’s hope they raised a tonne of money.

For the latest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) news in Australia, visit Check out our latest magazines or find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.

Destiny Rogers

Destiny Rogers embarked on her career in the media industry immediately after high school, initially joining Mirror News, which later evolved into News Ltd. She fondly recalls editing Ian Byford's 'Passing Glances: A History of Gay Cairns' as one of her most fulfilling projects. Additionally, Destiny co-researched and co-wrote 'The Queen's Ball', chronicling the history of the world's longest-running continuous queer event. Her investigative work on the history of Australia's COON Cheese and Edward Coon culminated in the publication 'COON: More Holes than Swiss Cheese', a collaborative effort with Dr. Stephen Hagan. Destiny's journey at QNews began as a feature writer, and she was subsequently elevated to the role of Managing Editor of QNews Magazine in 2018. However, in July 2022, she decided to resign from this role to refocus on research and feature writing. For contact, please reach out at

QNews, Brisbane Gay, App, Gay App, LGBTI, LGBTI News, Gay Australia