Hillsong’s Brian Houston steps down ahead of court hearing


founder brian houston hillsong congregation hillsong founder historic child sex abuse brian houston
Image: Brian Houston Facebook

Hillsong founder Brian Houston announced today he would immediately step down as church leader. He shared the decision with a Hillsong congregation. Houston said he needed to prepare to defend a criminal charge for allegedly covering up his father’s child sexual abuse.

Last year, Houston stepped aside as director of all Hillsong boards.

Police charged Houston in October with one count of concealing the serious indictable offence of another person. They allege he knew from September 1999 that his father indecently assaulted a male in 1970.

Complete shock

Houston told a Hillsong congregation today that the criminal charge came as a ‘complete shock’.

(However surprising Houston found the charge, others anticipated it for years. It shocked many that it took so long to action complaints about the matter.)

Houston said he intends to vigorously defend the charge but that required changes.

“In December during our annual board retreat, Hillsong’s external legal counsel gave the board advice regarding the current charge I’m facing and that it would be best practice for me to step aside completely from church leadership during the court proceedings.

“So it’s likely to be drawn out and take up most of 2022, especially considering the backlog in courts exacerbated by the Covid pandemic. And along with this the board and I have been having detailed discussions around requirements for leadership and we’ve talked about the effects of the situation with my father, going back many years up to the current legal case, and the impact that this has had on me emotionally.

“So the result is Hillsong’s global board feel it’s in my and the church’s best interest for this to happen, so I’ve agreed to step aside from all ministry responsibilities until the end of the year.”

Houston said he would need to work closely with his lawyers to defend the charge and ‘set the record straight’.

Houston’s court matter encountered a delay earlier this week after his lawyers told a court he would plead not guilty. The court currently plans to proceed with the case on March 3.

For the latest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) news in Australia, visit qnews.com.au. Check out our latest magazines or find us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

Destiny Rogers

Destiny Rogers embarked on her career in the media industry immediately after high school, initially joining Mirror News, which later evolved into News Ltd. She fondly recalls editing Ian Byford's 'Passing Glances: A History of Gay Cairns' as one of her most fulfilling projects. Additionally, Destiny co-researched and co-wrote 'The Queen's Ball', chronicling the history of the world's longest-running continuous queer event. Her investigative work on the history of Australia's COON Cheese and Edward Coon culminated in the publication 'COON: More Holes than Swiss Cheese', a collaborative effort with Dr. Stephen Hagan. Destiny's journey at QNews began as a feature writer, and she was subsequently elevated to the role of Managing Editor of QNews Magazine in 2018. However, in July 2022, she decided to resign from this role to refocus on research and feature writing. For contact, please reach out at destinyr@qnews.com.au.

QNews, Brisbane Gay, App, Gay App, LGBTI, LGBTI News, Gay Australia

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *