Hamish Macdonald will return to Channel Ten’s The Project after stepping down as host of ABC’s Q+A.
On Monday, the ABC announced he was leaving the broadcaster after 18 months hosting the panel program. He’ll return to Channel Ten’s The Project.
Social media abuse was a “key factor” in Macdonald’s decision to leave the ABC gig, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.
Macdonald has said he was forced to delete his public Twitter and Instagram accounts last year.
In January, he told News Corp he’d “never had more abuse” from both sides of the political spectrum as he had working at the ABC.
“I’ve never had more abuse for the interviews I’ve conducted than I had last year,” he said.
“If you’re someone who sits in the middle of those exchanges in your day job, you end up copping it from every direction.
“The abuse has come from left-wing people who don’t like you asking difficult questions of Dan Andrews.
“And it’s come from people on the right who don’t like you asking difficult questions of the federal government.
“I’ve definitely learnt you can’t please everyone.”
Hamish Macdonald will appear on The Project two nights per week
Hamish Macdonald said in an ABC statement on Monday he was “enormously grateful” for the opportunity to host Q+A.
“I am really proud of what we’ve achieved together during these extraordinary times,” he said.
“I’d also like to thank the incredible Q+A audience for all they contribute to this program each week.
“It is, after all, their show. Their questions and stories from all corners of Australia are inspiring, revealing and clever.
“It’s been a privilege to receive and read them.”
On Wednesday, Hamish confirmed he would return to Channel Ten’s The Project.
He’ll host The Project’s Sunday program from September, as well as appear on the show on Friday nights.
For the latest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) news in Australia, visit qnews.com.au. Check out our latest magazines or find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.