Drag queen Tina Bikki calls out Oxford Street abuse


Instagram selfie of Sydney drag queen Tina Bikki
Image: Instagram

Sydney drag queen Tina Bikki has said NSW Police must keep up increased patrols on Oxford Street, after incidents of harassment and violence in the rainbow precinct.

Tina said they were approached by a group of men while on a break in front of a nightclub club on April 23.

The performer said security told them the group had been hanging around the entrance, despite requests to move on.

“I wanted to go out for a cigarette and I didn’t even make it out the door before these guys started on me,” Tina told ABC News.

The group hurled unprovoked verbal slurs at the drag queen, which Tina tried to ignore. But the men continued, escalating the threats and abuse.

A fellow performer stepped in to defend Tina before other bystanders started to band together to defend the pair.

Tina said the club security “didn’t do anything” and while bystanders called police, no officers attended. Only officers from a passing police car intervened.

“There was a massive group of people clearly arguing in the middle of the road … [so] two police officers got out and separated it.”

Officers moved the group of men to the other side of the road, Tina recalled. But the officers collected no personal details.

In the week and a half since, Tina Bikki received death threats after video of the incident was posted online.

“It’s been pretty messed up for me at the moment,” they said.

Tina Bikki said it was the second incident while “literally just going to my job” and they deserved to be safe.

‘No major incidents’ on Oxford Street last weekend

The ugly altercation was one of three violent incidents on Oxford Street in recent weeks.

Last week, local independent MP Alex Greenwich said police had increased their presence last weekend (April 29-30).

“I look forward to joining them in walking around venues over the coming weeks to hear about your experiences first-hand,” the MP said.

NSW Police told ABC News they were “very pleased” with patron behaviour around the Surry Hills entertainment precinct last weekend.

“The crowds were generally well behaved and there were no major incidents,” a NSW Police spokesperson said.

“Police will continue to work with the local licensed venues to ensure a safe and secure place for all.”

A spokesperson added, “NSW Police Force supports all victims of crimes to come forward and report.”

Read next: I’m A Celeb’s David Subritzky bashed in homophobic assault

For the latest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) news in Australia, visit qnews.com.au. Check out our latest magazines or find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.

Jordan Hirst
Jordan Hirst

Jordan Hirst is an experienced journalist and content creator with a career spanning over a decade at QNews. Since 2012, the Brisbane local has covered an enormous range of topics and subjects in-depth affecting the LGBTIQA+ community, both in Australia and overseas. Today, the Brisbane-based journalist covers everything from current affairs, politics and health to sport and entertainment.

QNews, Brisbane Gay, App, Gay App, LGBTI, LGBTI News, Gay Australia

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *