Author of acclaimed queer romance Call Me By Your Name, André Aciman, has announced a follow-up to his original 2007 novel will be published in October.
Titled Find Me, American publisher Farrar, Straus, and Giroux said the novel will not only explore the future of the two protagonists but also Elio’s father Samuel, now divorced, on a trip from Florence to Rome to visit Elio, who has become a gifted classical pianist.
“A chance encounter on the train leads to a relationship that changes Sami’s life definitively,” the publisher explained.
“Elio soon moves to Paris where he too has a consequential affair, while Oliver, now a professor in northern New England with sons who are nearly grown, suddenly finds himself contemplating a return visit to Europe.”
Find Me is due out on October 29 in the US, with a release date in other territories to be confirmed.
Speaking to Vulture about the follow-up novel, Aciman said the world of Call Me By Your Name had “never left” him.
“Though I created the characters and was the author of their lives, what I never expected was that they’d end up teaching me things about intimacy and about love that I didn’t quite think I knew until I’d put them down on paper,” he said.
“The film made me realise that I wanted to be back with them and watch them over the years – which is why I wrote Find Me,” he said.
The author first tweeted last December to announce the follow up, writing at the time, “I would actually love a sequel to Call Me By Your Name. In fact I am writing one.”
‘Call Me By Your Name’ film director also working on a sequel
Last year, the film adaptation of Call My By Your Name scored four Oscar nominations, including Best Picture.
Director Luca Guadagnino said last March that he was also involved in the sequel and was “conceiving the story with André Aciman, and it’s gonna happen five or six years afterwards.”
Actor Timotheé Chalamet also confirmed a continuation was being discussed, and suggested he and Armie Hammer were keen to reprise their roles.
But Hammer said this week in an interview with Vulture that the project was still in early discussions, and there was no guarantee it would be made.
“I’m sort of coming around to the idea that the first one was so special for everyone who made it, and so many people who watched it felt like it really touched them, or spoke to them,” Hammer said.
“And it felt like a really perfect storm of so many things, that if we do make a second one, I think we’re setting ourselves up for disappointment.”
For the latest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) news in Australia, visit qnews.com.au. Check out our latest magazines or find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.